Friday, February 27, 2009

Economical lunch - or dinner!

The humble potato has become a favorite lunch in this home. We split a (Costco-purchased) big bag of the oversized baker potatoes with friends and usually end up with about a dozen or so potatoes for about 4.40. One of these big potatoes is a meal for one person - sometimes, more than a meal! (For kids, I would definitely split one big baker potato between two people, or just use regular-sized potatoes purchased by the bag.)

Although I would definitely bake these in the regular oven IF I was already baking something else, it wouldn't be efficient to turn it on just to bake potatoes. My mom taught me how to end up with a great baked potato using the microwave. Cook on high in the microwave until soft and then wrap in a paper towel, so that two layers of the towel are covering most of the potato. (For my microwave, even though I have a turntable, I stop it midway through the cooking time and flip the potato on the plate from bottom to top. If I'm baking two at a time, I flip them end to end as well.) Wrap in terry cloth - kitchen towels, hand towels, washcloths. You want thick layers to keep the moisture in the potato. Let the potato steam inside these wrappings for five minutes. This results in a perfectly moist baked potato. ( I usually save these paper towels and use them for more than one baked potato.)

We like ours simple - sliced open, with a bit of butter and salt, or sour cream and chives, or grated cheese. Steamed broccoli and cheddar cheese is great too. If your hubby can't handle a meal without meat, try adding chili topped with grated cheddar cheese.

Aside from being the base of a hot, delicious meal, potatoes provide nutrients we need, one of which is potassium.

Let me know if you have any other topping ideas!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

ElizabethClare said...

I just made potato soup today and decided I will make a baked potato bar next week. They are so easy and cheap and filling! I like to do mine in the microwave too...much easier and faster than the oven.

Blessings your way,